not a pretty picture. not a good. not a bad. picture. but an argument.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

withdrawal



uncorrupted by the conscious self, knowing less the crow knows more

notes from simone weil:

"God can love in us only this consent to withdraw in order to make way for him, just as he himself, our creator, withdrew in order that we might come into being."

"...I act as a screen.  I must withdraw so that he may see..."

"I must withdraw so that God may make contact with the beings whom chance places in my path and whom he loves.  It is tactless for me to be there.  It is as though I were placed between two lovers or two friends.  I am not the maiden who awaits her betrothed, but the unwelcome third who is with two betrothed lovers and ought to go away so that they can really be together."

"May I disappear in order that those things that I see may become perfect in their beauty from the very fact that they are no longer things that I see."

"To see a landscape as it is when I am not there . . ."

6 comments:

  1. shadow and light, stasis and flurry, the moment of hinge between meaning and meaning ... this photograph proclaims that the world is beautiful because it flies toward its own erasure ... this photograph is achingly right ...

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pairing of this image and these words/thoughts!

    and oh these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. det er kjempe bra Erin, liker jeg svært godt !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking flight, I would call this one.

    Oh, Erin, I'm going to miss your other blog so much I might as well just quit the internet altogether. Your writings have literally kept me alive and breathing too many days to count. I have lost almost every single friend I ever had in the past 2 years and I don't even know why. If I lose much more, I swear to God I'll vanish like the sun in a hurricane. I do understand the need to withdraw, but, but, but, but then..................... :-(

    ReplyDelete

"Words at the limit of hearing, attributable to no one, received in the conch of the ear like dew by a leaf." (philippe jaccottet) or even a quiet presence is appreciated))