not a pretty picture. not a good. not a bad. picture. but an argument.

Monday, November 28, 2011

i never never

there are a great many things i never do

i never walk downstairs barefoot on the cold floor
i never go without a bra
i never linger in the bathtub with no purpose

there is a much longer list of i nevers that intimately defines me

but what walls do we create upon ourselves inside of our i nevers?

what keen living lives just a shadow beyond those walls?

(the view from my bathtub)


now i have walked barefoot on cold floors
now i have gone without a bra
now i have lingered in a bathtub with no purpose

by deconstructing
i shall climb beyond my walls
and crawl through the shadows
to know myself

5 comments:

  1. i was just talking with my boss today about how i wish the mentality at my office was about finding ways to say yes, finding creative solutions, rather than no-no-no. lots of fear and negativity i seem to see, and wish that more would see there are lots of maybes and not necessarily so many nevers.

    brilliant poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)... there are things that we do because we (women) have more self-sacrifice, I do not know whether it is a merit or a defect, but I think it is a symbol of intelligence at the end, or should never come to a compromise? I do not know ... but it grows and whims become less dense because we think of survival ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. aimee, and sometimes when we say the no no no's quietly and gently we convince ourselves they are not negative. can you imagine! how so often we choose to live in the negative. how we set ourselves up for failure. you'll affect that workplace, i don't doubt it, but these attitudes are so deeply rooted.

    laura, it is a little frightening what you say here of women - for me, at least. it could gain an engine and go in countless directions so very fast. it sounds desperate. i can not help but wonder how it operates in your life. in mine, i have been my own unwitting victim. i have imposed definition on myself. i still am and i work to rid myself of it, to see who it is that i actually am beneath the self imposed mythology.

    who are you, laura? what is your life? every time you write or create your art, i find that i am always left wondering. and i feel, more than see, a delicate bruise. but then we are all bruised, aren't we?

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. we all need boundaries to feel safe, but mostly, to feel a sense of I. but walls also limit of course. the balance is fun to discover.

    ReplyDelete

"Words at the limit of hearing, attributable to no one, received in the conch of the ear like dew by a leaf." (philippe jaccottet) or even a quiet presence is appreciated))