not a pretty picture. not a good. not a bad. picture. but an argument.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

ivy, a small story of being seen

i took pictures in the way
in front of the patio door
while the children ran inside and out
my children
the neighbourhood children
i had taped a piece of white paper to the back of the pantry
in behind the ivy
so that it might show with great contrast
in the afternoon rotating light
the children fumbled with their shoes beneath my feet
muddy and damp
spring arriving
they pushed past me on their way to their bikes
on their way to penny candy

what 'er ya doing?
the neighbourhood girl with the moon face asked
as though i were an alien
and before i could answer my daughter said
she's taking pictures
she put up the white sheet to better see by

can i take a picture mom?

she saw me
she saw me
my daughter saw me for a moment
me
against my cheap white sheet